The Family Medical Leave Act
Exercising your rights can save your life and may secure your job
We have extracted specific provisions from the FMLA to help you understand what the parameters are for a medical leave, what you have to provide, and some of the employer’s related requirements. Since addiction is a progressive disease that affects the brain as well as the body, it is considered a serious chronic illness. You may be able to utilize the FMLA to request time off of work to get treatment for addiction.
This guide explores some of the rules governing the use of FMLA as well as information about treatment. Some of these topics are:
- Why may people hesitate to get addiction treatment?
- What is FMLA?
- Leave Entitlement
- Is Addiction Considered a Serious Health Condition?
- Other Questions and Answers About FMLA Coverage and Eligibilty
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Pre-Existing Stigma About Substance Abuse in Employment
- Helping to Off Set the Cost of Treatment: Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance